The weather has decided that it wants to be cold, with blowing snow and just generally gross lately. It’s been sunny on and off, so that’s been good at least! Temperatures have been hovering around 0C, which theoretically isn’t that cold (it is winter in Canada after all!). Although today it’s -7C. So that’s chilly.
The wind. The wind has been howling! It’s been non-stop windy for the last week or so, or really I feel like since we’ve moved into the new place. It’s been about a month now I guess since our stuff was delivered. I’m finally unpacked, all boxes have been opened and dealt with. Now comes the fun part of choosing colours and painting!
Anyways, getting back to that dang wind! It’s been crazy windy. I wonder if it’s because everything is so flat here. Or we’re more out in the open than we used to be. It’s windy as all heck here though. In fact… my recycling is blowing all over the street again while I write this. Here’s my recipe for a bright soup that’s sure to warm you up until spring decides to arrive.
If you’ll excuse me, I gotta go scramble to pick up my recycling before it blows all over the place… again.
To make my Thai Curry Butternut Squash Soup you will need…
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cups of cubed, butternut squash (seeded and peeled)- 1 large or two small squashes should do
- 1 medium sweet potato, cubed (peeled too!) – I have some leftover roasted sweet potato
- 2 medium apples, peeled and cubed
- 1 TBSP of vegetable oil – I think I used avocado oil, coconut oil would work well too
- 1 TBSP of minced garlic
- 1 TBSP of ginger
- 4 TBSP of Thai red curry paste – my curry paste was fairly weak, so adjust this to suit your spice level
- 2 tsp of fish sauce – omit the fish sauce if you want a vegan soup
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 4ish cups of chicken stock – I used enough stock to cover all of the ingredients once they’ve been added to the pot, so I think around 4 cups in total? Also, use veggie stock if you want to make this recipe vegetarian or vegan.
- Prep all of your veggies. This isn’t our first go-round at prepping veggies, make sure that all of the cubes are equal sizes. About 2″ cubes work great! The onion should be diced.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the onion, garlic and ginger. Cook until the onion starts to become translucent.
- Add the curry paste, stir the onions and let them cook down for another minute or 2.
- Next. add the squash, sweet potato and apples. Give everything a good stir and let it cook down for a few minutes, maybe 5 mins in total.
- Add the fish sauce, coconut milk and stock. Give everything a good stir. Turn the heat up to high and bring the soup up to a boil.
- Once the soup is boiling, turn the heat down to low. Let the soup simmer for around 30 minutes, until the squash and sweet potato are softened. Turn the heat off and let the soup cool.
- Once the soup is fully cooled, puree it until it’s smooth and creamy.