It was another busy week… Ok, not really. We were away for a bit on a short trip out to Tofino. Neither of us had spent much time on Vancouver Island (a long weekend in Nanaimo once, and a long weekend in Victoria once as well). And everyone kept saying that we needed to get out to Tofino. So, we did!
The trip was great! We spent a lot of time at the beach and enjoying the outdoors. We even took a short sea kayaking trip. We got back to reality late on Tuesday night, and I had the usual catch up after vacation all week. So I needed a quick dinner to make.
This is a great supper to make on a Friday night after a long week at work! It’s quick to prepare, and quick to grill up. It tastes yummy and goes well with red wine. What more could you possibly need for a Friday night?
The ingredients are listed for two people, so increase the marinade if you’re cooking for more – obviously increase the quantity of steak and asparagus too ;). This meal would go well with leftover Leek and Potato Salad or leftover Zucchini Salad.
To make this meal you will need…
- 1 4oz steak per person – this was a large steak, so I split it between us…
- 1/2 pound of asparagus
- 2 TBSP of olive oil
- 1 TBSP of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp of dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small dish, mix together 1 TBSP of olive oil, the balsamic vinegar and the rosemary. Set the steak to marinate for around 15 minutes per side.
- While the steak is marinating, toss the asparagus in the remaining 1 TBSP of olive oil, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat up your grill to medium-high heat. Once the grill is heated, grill the steak for about 4 minutes per side (for medium rare).
- Grill the asparagus, so that it has nice char marks but doesn’t become mushy. Maybe 5 minutes in total, flipping it once. The asparagus will become a nice deep green once it’s cooked.
* Epicurious has a great article on how to grill up a steak.