Happy Victoria Day long weekend Canada!
This weekend is also the official start to BBQ season, eh! I think it’s actually written in the constitution that you have to BBQ at some point over the weekend 😉 Here in Rain-couver, I’m just hoping to see the sunshine that the weather man promised. First world problems, I know.
Anyways, to kick off the BBQ season, why not make this yummy meal? And, it’s fully cooked on the BBQ! I remember eating this Greek Chicken quite a bit as a kid; and, I saw a recipe for the Grilled Veggie Salad on the Chew. Of course, we don’t have summer squash yet up here in the Northern Canadian
wilder cities, so I swapped them out for an eggplant. I followed everything else, I swear! Except… oh yeah! I used cocktail tomatoes instead of the normal tomatoes. Oh, and I added in some grilled peppers. I’m working on this whole “following instructions” thing…
To make the Greek Chicken, you will need…
- 1 lb of chicken – I used skinless, boneless chicken thighs (they grill nicely)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of lemon juice – freshly squeezed if you can
- 2 tsp of minced garlic
- 2 tsp of dried oregano
- 2 tsp of dried parsley
- 1 tsp of dried basil
- 1 tsp of dried marjoram
- ground black pepper
To make my Grilled Veggie Salad, you will need…
- 2 medium zucchinis, quartered lengthwise
- 1 medium eggplant, speared lengthwise – I cut mine into eighths, lengthwise
- 1.5 bell peppers, quartered and seeded – yeah, I know, I had a half of one leftover from something else
- 1 cup of cocktail tomatoes, halved
- 1 bunch of fresh basil – I had fresh basil in the house!
- 1/4 of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TSBP of red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp of red chili flakes – I was hesitant at first, but it really works!
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients for the marinade (olive oil to the black pepper). Add in the chicken, and make sure to fully coat it in the marinade. Cover it, and place it in the fridge for at least 4 hours. The longest I’ve let this recipe marinate is overnight.
- Slice up your veggies. If you like, you can toss them quickly in some olive oil and salt before grilling them. I would leave the eggplant as is though! It absorbs the oil and becomes mushy (it’s like a sponge!).
- Form a little bowl out of a sheet of aluminum foil, and place the tomatoes in it.
- Fire up your grill, and cook everything! I cooked this on medium high heat. Flip the chicken once, letting it cook for about 5 to 6 minutes per side. It’s done when the juices run clear.
- Turn the vegetables regularly, making sure that all of the sides have nice grill marks, but are not burnt.
- Once everything is cooked, let the chicken rest for a few minutes. This will give you time to assemble the salad 🙂
- In another large bowl, add the olive oil and red wine vinegar. Roughly chop the cooked zucchinis, eggplant and peppers. Add in the tomatoes. Tear up the basil, and add in the chili flakes. Give the salad a good stir, making sure the vegetables are nicely coated in the dressing.
Enjoy! Happy long weekend everyone! And happy grilling 🙂